Sunday, August 19, 2012

"A pair and a spare"

While helping a client downsize for a move into a retirement community, I was reminded of something my maternal grandfather, Gramps, used to say:  
"Have a pair and a spare!"  

As the father of two girls (and subsequently 4 granddaughters), I'm pretty sure he was referring to boyfriends.  

Nowadays it seems this phrase applies to "stuff".  For example, big box stores and buying clubs have made it very convenient to buy 2-packs of things (crackers, cereal, cleaning products, toothpaste, etc.)  And while it may seem like it's cheaper, think about how much it's "costing" in your own shelf-space/closets/pantries/garages to store those extras.  

I understand there are folks who may not live convenient to shopping so they need to stock up "while they are in town".  Or the people with families so large they do their weekly shopping at those well-known bulk stores.  But for the rest, there's some kind of store (*mart, drug store, grocery) that is close enough.

Don't get me wrong....I enjoy visiting those big stores. (I just don't have need or storage for a jar of mayo the size of a compact car.)

Here's an interesting article to consider:  "You probably have too much stuff."

But, there is one thing I will ALWAYS have a pair and a spare of:



For more information on how A Stress-Less Transition, LLC can help you or an older adult, please visit our website. 

No comments:

Post a Comment