Sunday, February 17, 2013

Feeling like Typhoid Mary

I am honored and humbled by the number of families that have put their trust and confidence in me to help with their loved ones' transition.  

For those whose move I've orchestrated, I follow-up with the families to see how they are doing.  

But, after several calls this week, I gotta tell you, I'm feeling like Typhoid Mary!  


Now, this was back in the 1900s, and the people Mary came in contact with, died!  

I'm pleased to say, I don't cook for my clients and no one has died.  However, 80% of the people I've moved in the past 8 months have had something happen after they've gotten settled in their new place.  For example: a fall (or two), a 5-week stay in the hospital due to flu, a hospital stay with pneumonia, a TIA, just to name a few.

What was the common denominator?  They had all moved into different communities, in different areas of town.  Some were women, some were men and the ages varied.  I guess it must have been me!  Ugh!  

In actuality, these were all "crisis moves" where the dementia or physical condition had progressed to the point where the older adult could not live independently any more.  And while the family may have taken the steps to find their loved one a new living arrangement, it was pretty late in the game.  

Making a later-in-life move is not easy, especially when the older adult is afflicted with dementia and has called the same place home for 30-50 years.  While I do everything in my power to reduce the stress associated with a move, I'm unable to influence the person's mental and physical health.  

Nobody wants to have "the talk" with their loved ones, but trust me it is better to do it sooner rather than later.  If you are one of the 'kids' be sure to pick up the clues your loved ones leave - for example if mom has passed away and Dad says, "I'd like to give the china to my granddaughter", HELP HIM DO IT!  Don't force him to keep things they way they always have been because you're not ready for a change.

I guess I have to accept the facts of life in this industry I've become a part of.  Things are going to happen to the people I help but knowing I've been able to handled the details of a move on behalf of their families and recreate their new space with the furniture and belongings they are familiar with makes me feel good.  

Time to get ready for another move...

For more information on how A Stress-Less Transition, LLC can help you or an older adult, please visit our website.

No comments:

Post a Comment